Friday 20 July 2012

Final Thoughts...

UDL         Blog        App     Task Analysis       Low/Mid/High Tech

These are only some of hte terms that I can confidently add to my vocabulary!  I learned quite a lot in such a short time in this course. Thinking about new ways to help kids understand classroom topics has been interesting. I believe that utilizing assistive technology to support various learners in my classroom will help them become more independent and successful. Most importantly I think it will help boost self esteem, and there is nothing more important than that.

This past week there was a segment on 60 Minutes about using apps to support children with Autism. Reporter Lesley Stahl speaks with parents and educators about the breakthroughs in apps. The most vital message - that students with autism want, and need to, communicate and apps help make that happen.  The segment can be viewed by clicking link below:



Apps for Autism: 60 Minutes








After I finish a course I like to consider how I can actually put my knowledge to use in my classroom. Next September my grade 8 classes have students with many needs, in fact it is the grade level with highest needs in the school. I will be teaching a student with autism who is non-verbal, a student with severe oppositional defiance disorder, a student with cerebral palsy who is non-verbal and three students who are brand new to the English language. I am hopeful that I will be able to use a number of software and apps that I have learned about to support them - from calming apps to communication devices.  I think the biggest challenge I am faced with is funding from my school board. All the money spent each year on text books could certainly be re-directed into purchasing new technology that would better work to support our students. I have an advantage over many of my classmates in that I am at a more technology rich school. However, we still only have one set of ten iPads to share amongst 700 students. I can see myself being a little selfish in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment